Text messages have certainly revolutionized society in many aspects from business to romance, all of which involve building and maintaining relationships. Yes, indeed, romantic relationships have been influenced and continue to be influenced by the easy accessibility and availability of text messaging services via mobile phones and smartphones.
Influence on Romance
Always keep in mind that the text messaging technology is a double-edged sword perhaps more than any other form of communication between two individuals in a romantic relationship. The trick is in knowing the subtleties of what to send, when to send and how to send these text messages to their intended recipient.
On one hand, love text messages can strengthen the bonds between two people because these contain thoughts of caring, of loving, and of flirting, among others. It is the thought behind the text messages that count, in a manner of speaking. On the other hand, love text messages can slowly but surely erode the bonds of trust, respect and love between the couple. This usually occurs when the text messages appear too clingy, too needy and too demanding in the eyes of the recipient. Keep in mind that one too many text messages can be annoying, if not downright the act of stalking.
When the text messaging technology is used in the appropriate manner, nonetheless, it is a valuable part of maintaining the love, passion and friendship between two people in a romantic relationship. Its benefits include:
- Instant messaging. Text messages can be sent and received in a matter of minutes, thus, addressing the need for urgency. E-mails, in contrast, can take hours before these are read by your recipient.
- Low cost. Telecommunications providers charge users with very minimal fees on text messaging, which are substantially more affordable than calls.
- Creativity. Love text messages can be creatively made by the sender, either as original works or as borrowed quotes. Add symbols like smiley and heart for greater impact, too.
- Lasting memory. Your recipient can save your love text messages and then read it once in a while just for kicks. This cannot be said of e-mails in many instances.
And of course, there’s also the fact that text messages can be sent from a mobile device with no need for an Internet connection. Do you feel like saying “I love you” in the middle of the desert? Go ahead!
But you must remember when it’s okay and when it’s not okay to send text messages. Keep these pointers in mind:
- Go for short, sweet and flirty text messages.
- Add a symbol (i.e., smiley or heart sign) to add sweetness to the message.
- Send a message once or twice during the day. One too many times and you come off as a stalker, which will not do any good for your relationship.
- Be original as much as you possibly can. Sincerity is always appreciated no matter how clumsy it may look.
It cannot be overemphasized that texting should be used to strengthen your relationship so use it with care. And if you must break things off, don’t do it via a text message; you should have more decency than that!